BECOME A CERTIFIED
BODY BALANCE YOGA® YOGA TEACHER
500-hr Advanced Yoga Teacher Training (RYT500)
+ BBY® Yoga Teacher Certification (CYT)
11 Wknds / 300 Hrs
Our 500-hour Advanced Yoga Teacher Training is designed for those students who are already registered at the 200-hour level with Yoga Alliance who wish to deepen their practice and want to teach more advanced classes. This training is a quality, comprehensive training that will deepen your practice and prepare you to teach with both confidence and compassion... all while intertwining Jenny Otto's knowledge of yoga therapeutics that incorporates present day wellness and medical research.
Honoring the richness of all lineages, our 500-hour program draws on multiple teachers from many traditions, disciplines and perspectives to expand your horizons. There is tremendous value hearing multiple voices — each coming at the same topic from obscure, obtuse and challenging angles. World-class teachers go beyond simple rhetoric and text book content. They share their personal discoveries. Over the centuries, yoga has re-affirmed one thing — the entire system is designed so that the student surpasses the teacher. Each generation adds a new dimension to what they were taught while maintaining a deep respect and honoring of those who have paved the way. Our RYT500-hour program is designed to foster a strong sense of community across all traditions. Over the course of a year, you will navigate your way through this program with a collection of seekers like yourself.
- 6 BODY BALANCE YOGA THERAPY WORKSHOPS
- FREE YOGA CLASSES at Body Balance Yoga for the duration of the program
- CPR Certification Training
- Yoga Therapy Intake Assessment & Strategy
- Teaching Postures
- Advanced Asanas: Practice, Teaching & Adjustments in Level II, II/III & beyond
- The Mechanics of Teaching Advanced Poses
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Philosophy & The History of Yoga
- The Chakra System & Energy Body
- Ayurveda & Nutrition
- Assisting & Adjusting
- The Art of Sequencing
- The Mechanics of Teaching
- Sanskrit: Pronunciation and Chanting
- Teaching Special Groups & Populations
- Further Study of Classical Yoga Texts: Yoga Sutras, Bhagavad Gita, Hatha Yoga Pradipika
- Yoga Ethics
- The Business of Yoga
Our 500-hour Body Balance Yoga Teacher Training consists of a flexible, one-weekend per month schedule which enables participants to travel from further distances to attend as well. Each session generally includes handouts and materials, lectures, film/video clips, presentation materials, yoga practice, asana sequences and partner or small group work. Between each session, students are given reading homework assignments.
Requirements for Graduation & CYT Certification
- Must attend every weekend
- Complete Required Reading and all homework assignments given for each weekend
- Each student will keep a personal workbook for homework assignments, asana practice, meditation, prayer, thoughts and feelings
- Students will have homework assignments for each weekend
- A paper will be due on a topic specific to yoga and a paper will be due on yoga therapy
- Apprentice in Jenny's class or approved teacher for a total of 24 hours
- It is recommended that you are enrolled in a Level 1/2, 2 or above class throughout the year (either at BBY or elsewhere)
- There will be a midterm open workbook exam
- Teach a one-hour class to the group as part of your teaching requirement. This will be done every weekend. The group will alternate teaching.
- To qualify for Yoga Alliance membership and for Body Balance Yoga graduation, any weekends, full days or hours that are missed must be made up during the next 500-hr Advanced Yoga Teacher Training on the appropriate weekend if offered OR at a similar workshop that has been approved by Jenny. If hours are missed (not entire days or weekends), specific assignments will be assigned to complete in order to graduate with a signed certificate. There will be a charge for make-up weekends/days to cover administrative costs, guest costs and the cost of materials.
- Upon successful completion of all requirements, graduates will receive a 500-hour Yoga Teacher Training certificate and a Certified Body Balance Yoga® Teacher certificate. Graduates will be eligible to apply for the RYT500 registration with Yoga Alliance.
Our primary faculty is Jenny Otto who teaches and oversees the entire program. Our faculty also includes many accomplished BODY BALANCE YOGA TEACHERS who teach several of our special programs and training modules: Linda Howard, Janelle Jones, Sandy Moore, Lorna Nafzinger, Gina Sager.
Body Balance Yoga is unique in that it honors the richness of all yogic lineages and draws on multiple teachers from many traditions, disciplines and perspectives to expand our student's horizons. Other renowned teachers are often invited to teach in their specialty at our trainings and workshops. Visiting GUEST TEACHERS IN THE PAST have included: Stan Andrzejewski, Mary Bond, Manoj Chalam, Rixie Dennison, Arthur Kilmurray, Judy Lazarus, Natalie Miller, Matthew Remski, Olga Rodriguez Rasmussen.
The limited class size of 30 will ensure that each student receives individualized support and attention.
This program is taught at our Annapolis, Maryland location.